The idiom “catch napping” means to surprise or catch someone off guard, especially by taking advantage of their lack of awareness or preparation. This phrase is often used when someone is caught doing something they shouldn’t be or when they are taken by surprise.
मुहावरा “catch napping” किसी को अचेत हो जाने के द्वारा या उनकी तैयारी के अभाव का फायदा उठाने के द्वारा किसी को अचानक पकड़ लेना होता है, ख़ासकर जब कोई गलत काम करता हुआ या अचानक संभव होता है।
What is “catch napping”?
“Catch napping” is an idiom that is used to describe catching someone off guard or surprising them, especially if they are not prepared or aware of their surroundings.
Usage of “catch napping”?
“Catch napping” is often used to describe a situation where someone is caught doing something they shouldn’t be or when they are taken by surprise. It can refer to both physical and mental states of being caught off guard.
Examples of “catch napping” in a sentence in English and Its meaning in Hindi:
- She thought she had her homework finished, but when the teacher asked for it, she was caught napping. (उसे लगा कि वह अपना होमवर्क ख़त्म कर लिया है, लेकिन जब शिक्षक ने उसके लिए पूछा, तब उसे पकड़ लिया गया।)
- The thief tried to rob the store, but the security guard caught him napping. (चोर ने दुकान को लूटने का प्रयास किया, लेकिन सुरक्षा गार्ड ने उसे अचानक पकड़ लिया।)
- She caught him napping when she hit him with the ball. (उसने बॉल से उसे मार कर उसे अचानक पकड़ लिया।)
- He was caught napping during the presentation and didn’t know how to answer the question. (वह प्रस्तुति के दौरान अचेत हो गया था और सवाल का जवाब कैसे देना है उसे पता नहीं था।)
- The company was caught napping by the sudden increase in demand and was unable to keep up with orders. (एकांत में मांग में आने वाली भयानक बढ़ोतरी से कंपनी को ख़ुश होना चाहिए था लेकिन इससे आहत होते वक़्त समय और संसाधनों की कमी हो गई।)
How to Respond to “catch napping”?
There is no predetermined response to “catch napping” as it is not a greeting, but a way to describe a situation. However, someone who has been caught napping may feel embarrassed or surprised, and it is appropriate to offer support or encouragement in this situation.
Translating “catch napping” into Hindi
The idiom “catch napping” can be translated into Hindi as “अचेत हो जाना” (achet ho jana), which means to become unconscious or unaware. Another similar phrase is “संशय होना” (sanshay hona), which means to become doubtful or uncertain.