The idiom “beck and call” means being at someone’s immediate service and being available to do their bidding. It refers to a person who is always ready to fulfill the wishes or commands of another person, often at their every beck and call.
मुहावरा “beck and call” का अर्थ होता है कि किसी की तत्काल सेवा में होना और उनकी आज्ञा के अनुसार तत्परता से काम करना। यह एक ऐसे व्यक्ति को संदर्भित करता है जो दूसरे व्यक्ति की इच्छाओं या आदेशों को पूरा करने के लिए हमेशा तत्पर होता है, अक्सर उनके हर निवेदन पर तत्काल काम करता है।
What is “beck and call”?
“Beck and call” is an idiom that is used to describe someone who is always available to do another person’s bidding or fulfill their wishes. It implies a subservient relationship between the two parties, where one is in a position of authority or power, and the other is at their constant service.
Usage of “beck and call”?
“Beck and call” is typically used to describe a person who is always ready and available to fulfill the wishes of someone else, often at their every command. The phrase may be used in a negative connotation to describe someone who is always subservient to another person and does not have their own agency or autonomy.
Examples of “beck and call” in a sentence in English and Its meaning in Hindi:
- She always had a personal assistant at her beck and call. (वह हमेशा अपने व्यक्तिगत सहायक को अपनी आज्ञा पर उपलब्ध रखती थी।)
- He was at her beck and call all day long, always doing as she asked. (उसे पूरे दिन उसकी आज्ञा पर थे, हमेशा वही कर रहे जो उसने कहा।)
- She considered her employees to be at her beck and call. (उसे लगता था कि उसके कर्मचारी उसकी सेवा में हमेशा तत्पर होते हैं।)
- He was tired of being at his boss’s beck and call all the time. (वह हमेशा अपने बॉस की आज्ञा पर होने से ऊब हो गया था।)
- She always had a team of personal assistants who were at her beck and call. (उसके पास हमेशा अपने व्यक्तिगत सहायकों की टीम थी जो उसकी आज्ञा पर उपलब्ध थे।)
How to Respond to “beck and call”?
If someone describes you as being at their beck and call, it may be necessary to evaluate the nature of your relationship with that person. While being helpful and responsive is a positive trait, it’s important to maintain your own autonomy and boundaries. A polite response might be to thank the other person for their trust and confidence, but also to indicate that you need to balance your own needs with their requests.
Translating “beck and call” into Hindi
In Hindi, the idiom “beck and call” can be translated as “हमेशा तत्पर होना” (Hamesha tatpar hona), which means being always ready and available to do someone’s bidding.
हिंदी में, “beck and call” मुहावरे का अनुवाद “हमेशा तत्पर होना” हो सकता है, जो किसी के आदेशों के अनुसार हमेशा तैयार रहना होता है।